The safe solution to nuclear
Gen IV Thorium Nuclear Reactors
Thorium Fuel Source
Thorium when used with an MCR design creates an extremely safe situation. It requires energy input to maintain reaction, so it has no ability to melt down. Here are the primary benefits of Thorium.
- Zero ability to melt down
- Does not produce weapons grade nuclear waste
- Can be used to destroy current weapons grade nuclear waste and reduce the amount of total nuclear waste
- Thorium byproducts are less radioactive and are dangerous for far shorter time intervals than byproducts of Uranium reactors
- India and the United States hold a large chunk of the estimated world Thorium reserves
- to reform the waste and use it as a heat source in cold climate scientific bases
- to turn it into nuclear batteries for space probes and other long term use devices
The cost of not choosing nuclear
With all of the interest in preventing Iran from producing nuclear weapons, it seems that the most logical solution is to work with Iran to produce Thorium based nuclear reactors. Considering the lack of ability to create weapons grade nuclear waste from these reactors and combined with their relative safety and efficiency, it makes sense that any nation which is truly interested in nuclear energy and not in making new weapons would be willing to use this technology, if it can be shown to be viable. Quite frankly, this is a far more effective option then any kind of sanctions against the nation.